Monday, December 23, 2013

Justine Sacco fired and apologizes for offensive, racist AIDS tweet

Justine Sacco fired and apologizes for offensive, racist AIDS tweet

Justine Sacco, the PR woman at IAC, the company behind include Vimeo and Tinder who posted a stupid bad joke on Twitter about Africa has led to her dismissal.

For Sacco last weekend on the plane to Cape town, South Africa from London, tweeted that: "I'm going to Africa. Hopefully I do not get AIDS. Just kidding, I'm white! "

The tweet went viral in no time: he was more than 3,500 and retweeted more than 1,700 times referred to as a favorite. It just goes to show you how racist people are. Africans don't enjoy such belittling joke.

The "twitter joke 'was not well received by her parent company IAC who released a statement saying:" This is rude and offensive, and it reflects the values ​​of IAC not. We will respond appropriately. "They followed that statement a day latter by showing Justine Sacco out the door. She's been fired.

The irony of this story is that Sacco's father, a South African and was born in Africa. "I have my daughter brought up in the U.S. because South Africa was racist," replied her father.

The tweet was deliberate, as the account @ Justin Sacco removed. Sacco has now also apologized: "Words can not express how sorry I am for the pain I've caused. I want to apologize to the South African people that I have offended a useless tweet. "

0 comments:

Post a Comment