Saturday, November 16, 2013

Nigeria qualify for fifth World Cup

Nigeria qualify
Nigeria qualified for the fifth World Cup on Saturday in Calabra continuing an outstanding year for the team after it won the African Cup of Nations.

Nigeria became the first African country to qualify for next year's World Cup finals after a 2-0 home win over Ethiopia in their playoff in Calabar on Saturday.

Victor Moses converted a 20th-minute penalty and Victor Obinna added an 82nd-minute free kick for the second-leg success and a 4-1 aggregate win in the two-legged tie after Nigeria also won in Addis Ababa in last month's first leg.

Nigeria qualify for a fifth World Cup finals appearance in Brazil, having played in four of the last five tournaments.

Five teams will represent Africa at next year's tournament in Brazil.

Didier Drogba's Ivory Coast was set to play Senegal in the decisive leg of their play-off later on Saturday in neutral Morocco.

However, Super Eagles coach, Keshi maintains his love for his country will ensure he stays in the role despite having received lucrative offers to coach elsewhere.

"It is the love that I have for my country that has kept me in this place ever since," he told SuperSport.

"I go outside into the shops and markets and ordinary Nigerians in the streets are thanking me and asking God to continue to bless me. It humbles me.

"It makes me realise the responsibilities I have to these people and I keep at the job.

"I also have a fantastic group of young footballers, who I sincerely do not want to abandon at this moment.

"I have four offers on the table for me that will triple my wages but because of the reasons I have given I have told those offers to please go elsewhere."

0 comments:

Post a Comment